PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Polina Washington: Spinning Fairy Tales

A Parallel Planets piece by Michelle Rae

Parallel Planets presents Polina Washington
in Spinning Fairy Tales
Story and Interview by Michelle Rae Uy

Mentioned: multiple exposures, film photography, and wolves

* * *

I sometimes spend a good part of my “work” day looking for emerging talented film photographers to feature in our editorials at Whattaroll! Magazine. While I have never failed to find those talents, as there are a lot out there even from parts of the world you wouldn’t expect, it’s not everyday that I come across somebody extraordinary.

Once in a while though, if I’m lucky, I find a photographer that simply stands out from the rest.

And St. Petersburg film photographer Polina Washington is one such photographer.

photo by Polina Washington

What drew me in most about Polina’s work are the mysteries they create and the stories they tell. She doesn’t just take photographs. She doesn’t just point the camera at her subjects and click the shutter button. She weaves fables reminiscent of the old folk ones, intricately composing each image as if she were writing the next bestseller or the next Grimm fairy tale.

When you look at her images, you can tell that she follows a certain process; a process that is easy to figure out, especially if you’re used to shooting film, but definitely difficult to replicate.

photo by Polina Washington

You can tell, for example, that she often employs the widely underused and underrated multiple exposure technique, meticulously examining every detail so that each layer complements another almost perfectly. You can tell that she has also mastered the subtleties of light as she often takes advantage of them. Her photographs are often stamped with strong juxtapositions between light and dark – in one image, she cleverly uses the soft light from a lamp to provide contrast to the dark forest; in another, she drapes a see-through pearly-white fabric on her model to stand out against the almost black tree trunks. You will notice as well, if you look closely, that she hides or withholds her subjects’ faces from the onlooker, whether by silhouette or by simply having them turn the heads away from the camera, to add more enigma or anonymity to her images. And lastly, you will sense the delicacy behind the chilling feeling they evoke in you.

But to recreate her photographs and evoke the same mystique that shroud them is another thing. We can dissect, examine, and even imitate her style but the way Polina creates her masterpieces takes her kind of innate gift and kind of vision, which doesn't come naturally for many. And that's what makes her stand out.

photo by Polina Washington
photo by Polina Washington

Read on after the jump to see what she Polina Washington to say about her photography…

* * *

Parallel Planets: Tell something about Polina Washington as an analogue photographer and before you became one.

photo by Polina Washington

Polina Washington: "Before I began shooting film, I was definitely other person. My views on life had been drastically changing since I took camera at first time."

Parallel Planets: When/How did your inclination with photography begin?

Polina Washington: "It began with a simple digital cam. Don’t know exactly what have turned me to try that. I was just obsessed with capturing everything around me. Such things happen unexpected, you know."

Parallel Planets: What defines your artistic style? What are your “trademarks”?

photo by Polina Washington

Polina Washington: "I guess it’s all about multiexposition. I shoot second or even third layers. It can be a simple puddle or just waves of gasoline on the asphalt – it depends on what my sight catches on. My own formulas of photography are to make regular, everyday objects and scenery become surreal."

Parallel Planets: Speaking of your style, your work with film is fascinating and complex. I know you employ multiple exposures. Care to share the other techniques you use with our readers?

Polina Washington: "The techique is simple: you take 2 or more exposes and get one image. I started practicing that right after I’ve managed to buy me a camera that allowed using this method. I’ve started exploring and discovering some aspects. Lights and shadows connect in a very special way on film, and it makes the result of digital and analog multiexposition shots different. I’ve chosen film. Also because working with film has an element of mystery - never knowing exactly what you’ll get in the end."

Parallel Planets: What moves you to create such surreal images?

photo by Polina Washington

Polina Washington: "My ambition to create something special, something outstanding and prominent. I’ve had my phase practicing realistic b/w photography. My eyes have learned from such training to focus on some certain details - like how the light and angles of shadows interplay, composition, stuff like this. It did not satisfy my creativity. It was like gamut in music – practicing your fingers you get more freedom in playing. At some point I’ve had enough of playing gamuts then I’ve just felt a natural urge to look beyond the streaming bore of ordinary life."

Parallel Planets: What influences your work? Who inspires you?

Polina Washington: "I find inspiration in many things. First of all it’s walking alone somewhere faraway from big city and enjoying the silence and some fresh air. It’s meditation-like! Contemplating Nature – the most powerfull drug to lighten your burden of neurosis, and stress of daily duties. I also spend many hours exploring Flickr and generally some old and new photography – it gives me a push. And, of course, books and music."

Parallel Planets: What is your mantra in life?

Polina Washington: "A B R A C A D A B R A !"

Parallel Planets: Aside from photography, do you have any other creative pursuits?

Polina Washington: "I love doing hand made stuff. I always decorate my prints and do hand made packages for them, draw logos and stickers. It takes a lot of time it’s a pleasant little rest from shooting."

Parallel Planets: Mention three of your favorite things.

Polina Washington: "Marzipan, aqua blue color of the sky and the smell of sea breeze."

Parallel Planets: I love your name “Polina”. What does it mean?

Polina Washington: "Thanks! It’s a short form of the name Appolinaria. A feminine form of god Apollo’s name."

Parallel Planets: What project(s) are you currently working on?

Polina Washington: "Now I’m setting up my New Year’s merch sale on Etsy. And shooting new films of course."

Parallel Planets: In this planet that we're thriving in— What is your power animal? 

photo by Polina Washington

Polina Washington: "I like wolves. Unlike dogs that I also kinda like, wolves are not domestic, they are independent from humans."

Parallel Planets: Who is your alternate ego?

Polina Washington: "It is a top secret."

Parallel Planets: In an alternate universe where Polina Washington does not exist— What will your name be?

Polina Washington: "Sabeth Faber, definitely. From Max Frish’s “HomoFaber”. I’m not associating myself with that character, but I like the way the name sounds."

Parallel Planets: What do you think you would be doing instead? Why?

Polina Washington: "Drawing! Because drawing is what I would love to do more but lack enough free time."

More from Polina Washington

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.